This build has to be one of my favorites to date because I don’t often get called upon to build bobbers let alone 2 for the same customer (see the T100 build here) and a customer that pretty much left it all up to me once the style was decided upon.
I decided to go old school on this one with a springer front-end and a peanut tank. We were in the middle of brutal winter so I wanted to show that in the theme with all of the white on the bike but also that at the end of all that white snow was the beautiful sunrise – and with that, the theme of “California Dreamin'” stuck.
Once the bike was in the garage the teardown began. Some people have an interesting view on how a bike should be wired!
Or that a stylish backrest is a good addition to an otherwise bland bike – ha! Though I did want to keep the cool panther tail light lens, there was just something about it and I wondered if the original owner ever saw the finished product would he know it was his old bike?
Back to the teardown.
The new hard tails showed up from The Factory Metalworks both sporting a 4″ stretch and 2″ drop.
Ground off the stock tank mount and welded in the new seat hinge mount.
The wheels sporting the new Metzelers. I love the thin profile on these tires and I wanted it to handle as well as it could.
Couldn’t resist viewing the stance so I slapped everything on it for a photo.
Anyway, back to the fab work… tacked on the chain tensioner from Monster Craftsmen as well as the bungs for the license plate and tail light mounting, and the seat sprint supports. Not shown is how I mounted the rear fender or the machined spacers I created and welded into the backbone to support the new vertical oil tank.
Once all the fab work was complete I tore the bike down and sent it off to powdercoat. We needed to get this done so that my painter, Mat Tobin @ Jensens Customs, could match the white for what we had in store for the tins. On a side note, this is the first bike I decided to not paint myself. Typically I like to do everything but the this paint concept was far beyond my skill set and after a meeting with Mat to discuss the vision, I felt super confident that he “got it” and I already knew the high caliber of work this gunslinger has so I was in great hands.
Needless to say, the first viewing of the paint work blew me away.
Got back to assembly on the bike.
In between all the waiting on paint and powder I was already into the engine work which I never seem to take enough photos of but it was just a refresh anyway.
The electrical was the big upgrade to this bike featuring a tri-spark ignition and high output alternator, and all of the wiring is hidden inside the frame tubes as much as I could. I also ditched the Mikuni’s in favor of new Amal units.
Wheeled it outside for photo. At this point I was just waiting on the exhaust to come back from the ceramic coaters. You can see the beginnings of the T100 build too.
Exhaust is here, time to time it, tune the carbs, test ride and stick a fork in this build!
Off to the photo shoot with my good friend Mat Manser!
For a far more eloquent write up and probably a lot of info I forgot – head on over to Pipeburn for the story. Thanks for checking out the build!