Hard to believe it’s been 4 months since I wrote in the blog but a website with no updates is a sign of a busy guy and that’s an understatement. At the moment there are 3 builds in the works and 1 daily driver but lets keep this post about the 350 for the moment…
I grabbed this neglected 350 back in January with a clear vision of making it into a street surfer, urban brat, city carver, whatever-you-wanna-call-it. I typically lean towards race bikes and building cafe’s but for this little 350 I wanted to try something a bit different.
First things first lets see if we can get this bike to run again. Not only was the tank completely filled with rusty old gas but upon pulling off the “brand new” carbs, as the previous owner described, we found them extremely gummed up – why some people let their bikes get to this stage is beyond me.
Some good news however, once these carbs were cleaned and the tank was removed from the equation, a little fresh gas and it fired up first kick and ran really strong. That was a relief and all we needed to hear before really tearing into it.
Once the frame was in hand it was time to start development on the sub-frame that will support the new seat design. One thing I dislike about these 350’s is the press formed frame and to achieve the look I was after it was going to have to be converted to tube. I developed a really cool sub-frame and supports that I believe I will turn into a kit for other CB350 owners out there to help simplify the process. Cutting the stock sub-frame behind the gas tank as well as the stock support tubes this hoop and brace set up slots right in with some minor welding. It follows the flat base line of the tank quite nicely.
Of course you could leave the sub-frame as it is above and purchase a cafe seat, but since I want to build a brat I will run a rear fender and a flat bench seat. I found an old fender kicking around the shop and began to mock up a nice tight look that will work with the flat hoop. Notching out the fender I was able to get it to follow the bikes lines and flow with the tire arch. This fender will be the “plug” that the fiberglass reproduction will be based on. Stay tuned for an update on this.
Now that we had the back-end sorted it was time to move to the front of the bike with the headlight as well as the new position of the kickstand. This bike will be running rearsets and we couldn’t use the stock kickstand without interference and I am no fan of center stands – any weight I can shed, I do.
With the frame apart it was time to build a base to hold all the electronics and the lithium battery since I won’t have a cafe seat hump to hide all the electronics this one was a bit of a head scratcher but I managed to sort it out.
With all the welding finished and unused tabs removed I was done with the frame work and turned my attention over to the engine as the case covers and a few other parts would also be sent off for powder coating.
With all the parts back from powder it was time to begin re-assembly. Starting with a roller… and of course in my excitement I neglected to notice I had the forks in backwards. That was fixed right after this photo. Frame was done in a gunmetal grey to match the Renthal street bars.
So here is where it currently sits awaiting a few parts yet to arrive and a final color choice as well as odds and ends like a seat, tail light, mirrors etc.
As a side note, I was lucky enough to be in Florida for March break this year with my kids, and knowing I needed some items to complete this build, why not hook up with my friend Greg Hageman and go visit the fine folks at Dime City Cycles! Here’s a couple images from that adventure.
From here on out it’s gonna be full steam ahead to completing this CB350 and then it will be for sale. If you’re interested in it – hit me up!
For now it’s back to completing the GSXR1100 commuter bike for myself, completing a Ducati build for a customer and building a new CB985F to replace the white one I sold – man I love build season!